In the Reference Section you will find our College and Career Collection. We have many up-to-date materials on colleges, financial aid, career choices and resume writing. In most cases, the oldest editions of the popular guides can be borrowed; the newest editions are marked “REF” on the spine and must be used in the library.
- SAT Study Guides can be located in Career 378.1
- Peterson’s Four-Year College Guide can be located in Career 378.3 for older years and in Reference 378.1 for current year.
- Peterson’s Two-Year College Guide can be located in Career 378.3 for older years and in Reference 378.1 for current year.
- Insiders Guide to the Colleges can be located in Reference 378.73
- Peterson’s Graduate and Professional Programs, an Overview can be located in Career 378.83
Look for our other Peterson guides in the career section at the library.
- Guide to Connecticut’s Independent Colleges & Universities along with a chart outlining academic programs at each institution,
- Peterson’s Guides
- College Board
- Brain Track College & University Directory
Financial Aid Information
- Peterson’s Scholarship, Grants and Prizes can be located in Career 378.3
- Hartford Foundation on-line at www.hfpg.org/scholarships
- www.petersons.com – Best college deals
- www.collegeboard.com – How to apply
- www.fastweb.com – Financial aid tips
- www.theccic.org – Assistance with financial aid, job search and other higher education needs
- Connecticut College Scholarships Connecticut Colleges and Universities Page
scholarshiphunter.com – search for scholarships & other aid
The Application Process and Essays
- Peterson’s best college admission essays by Mark A. Stewart can be located in Career 378.1 Pet
- www.peterson.com provides essay and resume help
- www.collegeboard.com has My Organizer where you get reminders for dates and college planning activities.
Careers & Career Advancement
- Book of U.S. Government Jobs: Where They Are, What’s Available & How To Get One by Dennis V. Damp located in Career 331.12 DAM
- Escape from corporate America : a practical guide to creating the career of your dreams by
Pamela Skillings located in 650.14 SKI
- Guide to Internet Job Searching by Margaret Riley Dikel in Career 605.13 DIK
- Top 300 careers: your complete guidebook to major jobs in every field JIST Works, Inc. in Career 331.7 TOP
- What color is your parachute? : a practical manual for job-hunters and career-changers by Richard Nelson Bolles in 650.14 BOL
- www.ct.gov/dol – Rapid Reemployment Initiative Connecticut Department of Labor
- www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/CTRep – If you have recently lost a job & are looking for work
- ctjobsearchtoolkit.wordpress.com – The Connecticut Job Search Toolkit
- www.ctjobandcareer.org – Job and Career conneCTion for details on job and training programs.
To help with your job searching the Connecticut State Library has put together a tookkit of online resources. The Connecticut Job Search Toolkit is an evolving document so check back as often as you need.