- EBSCO NoveList NoveList is a fiction database that provides subject heading access, reviews, annotations, and much more for over 120,000 fiction titles. It also includes other content of interest to fiction readers, such as Author Read-alikes, Book Discussion Guides, BookTalks, and Feature Articles.
- ResearchIT CT – Connecticut’s digital library. A service of the Connecticut State Library, it provides access to various databases such as HeritageQuest and Wilson Biographies Online, plus full-text periodical access. To access ResearchIT CT from home, you will need your library card number.
Not all search engines retrieve the same results. For example, try doing the same search in Google and in Yahoo — you might find that the search results differ dramatically. Metasearch engines search other search engines — they compile the information that many search engines find into a single list of results.
Ready Reference Sites
- Refdesk Refdesk contains links to hundreds of other reference sites. The links in the columns on the left and right sides of the page are particularly helpful if you are looking for a quick answer to a question.
- Bartleby.com At Bartleby, you can search many classic reference sources, including the American Heritage Dictionary, the Columbia Encyclopedia, Roget’s Thesauri, Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations, the King James Bible, Gray’s Anatomy, Post’s Etiquette, Strunck’s Elements of Style, Bulfinch’s Mythology, the Oxford Shakespeare, and many more. Users can also search poetry anthologies and classic works of literature.
Note that some news sites require you to register in order to view articles.
- Local news: Hartford Courant, Bristol Press, New Britain Herald, Torrington Register Citizen, Waterbury Republican-American,
- National/International News: New York Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, Time Magazine, Newsweek, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, BBC
- Connecticut Network – Your State, Your Government, Your Network. It is managed and operated for the Connecticut General Assembly by Connecticut Public Affairs Network.
- State of Connecticut Home Page
- Connecticut General Assembly
- State Representative John Piscopo
- 2016 Major Issues Report
- State Senator Derek Slap
- U.S. Representative Jahana Hayes
- U.S. Senator Chris Murphy
- U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal
- Connecticut Open Data
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Bureau of the Census
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Defense Department
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Trade Commission
- Food and Drug Administration
- Government Printing Office
- Department of Homeland Security
- Internal Revenue Service
- Patent and Trademark Office
- Social Security Administration
- State Department
- Supreme Court
- U.S. Postal Service
- White House
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet
Job Hunting and Career Information
- Hartford County Jobs
- Connecticut Department of Labor
- Connecticut Job Bank
- State of Connecticut Employment Opportunities
- Connecticut Reemployment Portal
- Job & Career ConneCTion
- Manufacturing Centers have been located at three community colleges to meet the state’s manufacturing workforce needs: www.commnet.edu
- Career One Stop Tool Kit
- Employment Guide
- Indeed online job search
- Job Bank USA
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (from the Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Salary information
Internships and student jobs:
Health, Medicine and Nutrition
General health information:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Dr. Koop
- Family Doctor
- Healthnet: Connecticut Consumer Health Information Network
- Household Product Database: health and safety information
- Mayo Clinic
- MedlinePlus Ebola page
- National Center for Health Statistics
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Women’s Health Information Center
- Travel Health Online
- Getting the right help for Opioid Dependence or Withdrawal
- Caring for Seniors
Small Business Resources
Miscellaneous Reference Sites
- Project Gutenberg Full-text of more than 10,000 books, mainly older literary works that are no longer in copyright in the United States.
- CIA World Factbook Comprehensive and up-to-date information on every country in the world, maintained by the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Biography.com Biographical information on over 25,000 people from throughout history.
- Online Conversion Conversion tables for various units of measurement.
- Dictionary.com Free, searchable dictionary and thesaurus. Also includes links to other reference sites.
- Snopes.com The truth behind urban legends.
- Flags of the World Pictures of and information about the flags of the world.
- How Stuff Works Learn how everything works!
- Internet Movie Database Everything you always wanted to know about movies.